Discover how dental implants can restore your ability to have a replacement tooth function naturally again.
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots used to support a restoration for a missing tooth or teeth, helping to stop or prevent jaw bone loss.
Working as an artificial tooth replacement, dental implants are ideal for people who:
- Have one or more teeth missing
- Are experiencing difficulty with dentures or partial dentures
- Feel unhappy with their dental bridge
There are many causes for loss of teeth, including poor oral hygiene habits and root canal failure. Other causes of tooth loss include gum disease, trauma to the mouth, and excessive wear and tear. Congenital defects can also lead to loss of teeth.
Whatever the reason, people who have lost teeth often feel too self-conscious to smile or talk. Impacts on the bite and chew function can negatively affect eating habits, which can even lead to secondary health problems such as malnutrition.
The team at Dickson Street Dental truly understands the impact confidence and enjoyment of simple things like eating, which most people take for granted. Dental implants are the best choice to restore your smile because they look, fit, feel and function like your natural teeth. More importantly, they help keep your mouth healthy for years to come.
Would you like some more information?
What is involved in getting a dental implant?
A dental implant is a titanium screw that acts as a replacement to the root of a tooth. It integrates with the bone over time, then an abutment (a connecting part between the screw and crown) is screwed onto the implant and the crown is attached on top. While every patient is different, there is a general process for fitting an implant.
After your consultation to determine your requirements and the treatment costs, you will receive a clinical assessment with one of our implant dentists. If you are a suitable candidate for implants, a dental cone-beam CT (CBCT) scan is taken to evaluate the quality and quantity of the bone.
The next steps will be discussed with you and planned out specifically for your situation.
What are the benefits of implant dentistry?
There are many practical benefits from investing in dental implants for missing teeth.
- In general, dental implants are stronger and more durable than other restorative treatment options (bridges and dentures)
- They are an enduring solution to tooth loss, particularly with advances in guided implant technology , which allow for greater accuracy with planning and placement.
- Implants may be used in conjunction with other restorative procedures (for example, crowns) for maximum effectiveness.
- As a support to a dental bridge for the replacement of multiple missing teeth, dental implants can be also used with dentures to increase stability and reduce gum tissue irritation.
If you’re ready to smile with confidence and enjoy the simple pleasures of life more fully, start by talking to your Dickson Street Dental team.
We’re here to help.